Friday, October 16, 2009

Sharon Sensations


Well, we made it home, after a LONG day of traveling, and it sure was good to get back to the U.S.A.! (Picture is when we passed through Customs into the U.S.)
I wanted to wrap-up with a few of my sensations (observations) of our trip.
  1. Europe is way ahead of us on the "green thing". A few examples: every place we stayed has some sort of light saver/timer for halls, steps, and even hotel rooms; everyone uses small cars or motor scooters (lots of those adorable Smart cars!); most commodes have 2 choices of flush - small water for #1, big water for #2.
  2. Don't listen to what the experts say about dress code; just dress comfortable (w/layers) and always have the best walking shoes, i.e., tennis shoes are OK.
  3. Speaking of fashion: a scarf is mandatory! I quickly realized that I was the only woman walking around without one. So I bought a scarf and it changed my live....well, it is really useful at dressing up, use as a shawl when it turns cool, or a head cover in a sudden rain; plus you can just stuff it in your bag when not needed!
  4. No, everyone in Europe does NOT speak English; and signs, menus and train/bus schedules are almost never in English. Before my next trip I'll learn Italian!
  5. The natives dress in more stylish clothes than we do. And business dress does not include business casual. Women wear torture-looking spiked high heals with pointy toes and dresses with scarves! And business men ALL wear suit and ties, even if they are riding to work on a motorscooter.
  6. Every bathroom is a little different, it's really an adventure to discovery how to flush (floor pedal or button, chain hanging from tank high on the wall, or side of tank button, just to name a few). Then there's the how-to-go-in-a "Squatter" without totally undressing (this could only have been invented by a MAN!). Operating a pay toilet is a real test in patience, and sometimes even turning on the water to wash your hands is a challenge.
  7. I hate graffiti, and it is EVERYWHERE. I think it should be legal for policemen to shoot anyone walking around with a spray can or paint brush.
  8. Speaking of policemen - we noticed they always stroll around in groups of 3, and they carry automatic rifles - they are not kidding!
  9. Backpacks are the only way to go - jumping on/off trains, metros, & buses; then there's tiny elevators, if you are lucky, many flights of stairs, if you are not!
  10. There are a thousand things that can spoil your trip if you let them: dealing with train/bus schedules; the Euro being worth $1.58; communication problems with waitresses and menues, sore feet and back, etc.
  11. There are a million things that will stay in your memory forever: the Tuscany countryside from your train/bus; staying overnight as a guest of delightful hosts in their "rooms to let"; eating gelatto...often; and seeing Michangelo's DAVID!

1 comment:

  1. Hey guys, I just stumbled on the latest Blog entry........awesome breakdown of the in's and out's of Europe......you really hit the nail on the head.....and I don't mean the commode kind of "head"......(haaa haaa...I just made a funny!!). How about Blue Zone this Sunday night......assuming we can swim to our dock?? SO glad you're home.....

    Liz

    ReplyDelete